Melissa Harris-Perry walks off her show on MSNBC: ‘I will not be used as a tool’ | theGrioMSNBC host Melissa Harris-Perry has walked off her eponymous show, citing frustrations with the network's treatment and a loss of control over the program's content.Harris-Perry, whose show airs on both Saturdays and Sundays from 10am to noon, is refusing to host this weekend after being sidelined for two weeks.In a letter to her colleagues published on Medium, she wrote that she was deemed 'worthless' by the network, and fought back by saying: 'I will not be used as a tool for their purposes. I am not a token, mammy, or little brown bobble head.'
Melissa Harris-Perry will not appear on her MSNBC show Saturday because she said she feels editorial control was taken from her.
According to the New York Times‘ Joe Kilbin, Harris-Perry grew frustrated her show has been pre-empted throughout the presidential election. In an e-mail obtained by the Times, Harris-Perry told her co-workers the show had been “taken.”:
Here is the reality: Our show was taken — without comment or discussion or notice — in the midst of an election season. After four years of building an audience, developing a brand and developing trust with our viewers, we were effectively and utterly silenced.