Authorities said they will drop the last remaining charge against a Detroit police officer who shot and killed a 7-year-old girl during a during a nighttime raid after two trials ended without convictions.
Wayne County Prosecutor Kym Worthy will move Friday to dismiss the misdemeanor charge against Joseph Weekley, who shot and killed Aiyana Stanley-Jones while she slept in 2010.
Police were accompanied by a camera crew for the show 'The First 48' on A&E when Weekley burst into the home and fired one shot from his submachine gun that struck Aiyana in the head.
The Detroit police officer who fatally shot a sleeping 7-year-old girl will not be retried, officials said Wednesday.
Wayne County Prosecutor Kym Worthy said in a statement that her office was moving to dismiss the case against Officer Joseph Weekley. He was originally charged with involuntary manslaughter and careless discharge of a firearm causing death, a misdemeanor, after Aiyana Stanley-Jones was killed in 2010 during a botched police raid at her home.
Weekley's first trial in 2013 ended in a mistrial. In a second trial last year, Wayne County Circuit Court Judge Cynthia Gray Hathaway dismissed the manslaughter charge after a motion by the defense. The jury again deadlocked while deliberating whether to convict Weekley of the lesser charge, causing a second mistrial.