The Guardian has learned that by Alec's own reckoning the network has lost almost 400 state legislators from its membership over the past two years, as well as more than 60 corporations that form the core of its funding. In the first six months of this year it suffered a hole in its budget of more than a third of its projected income. | TheGuardian.com
• Internal documents reveal so-called 'Prodigal Son Project'
• Documents reveal conservative group's anti-green agenda
- ALEC’s "Institutional Corruption," From Backing Apartheid to Assault on Clean Energy, Public Sector | Democracy Now!
- How ALEC Serves As A 'Dating Service' For Politicians And Corporations (audio) : NPR
A batch of internal documents recently leaked to The Guardian has revealed new insights into the goals and finances of the secretive group called ALEC. The American Legislative Exchange Council is a group that brings together state legislators and representatives of corporations. Together, they develop model bills that lawmakers introduce and try to pass in their state legislatures. Through these model bills, ALEC has worked to privatize public education, cut taxes, reduce public employee compensation, oppose Obamacare and resist state regulations to reduce global warming gas emissions.
- ALEC calls for penalties on 'freerider' homeowners in assault on clean energy | World news | theguardian.com