US Has 5% Of Worlds Population Yet 25%
U.S. Attorney General Eric Holder has announced a major shift in how the federal government plans to prosecute nonviolent criminals involved in drug crimes, with the aim of easing overcrowding in the nation’s prisons.
of World Prison
Attorney General Holder outlined several policy changes in a speech to the American Bar Association meeting in San Francisco. Read more...
Mandatory sentencing - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
A mandatory sentence is a court decision setting where judicial discretion is limited by law. Typically, people convicted of certain crimes must be punished with at least a minimum number of years in prison. Mandatory sentencing laws vary from country to country; it is mainly an area of interest only in Common Law jurisdictions, since Civil Law jurisdictions usually prescribe minimum and maximum sentences for every type of crime in explicit laws.
- Eric Holder seeks to cut mandatory minimum drug sentences - CNN.com
- Holder seeks limits on mandatory minimum sentencing
- Justice Dept. Seeks to Curtail Stiff Drug Sentences - NYTimes.com
- Holder calls for scaled-back use of mandatory minimum drug sentences | Fox News
- Eric Holder Outlining New Justice Department Drug Sentencing Reforms